Where to Find Fossils
1) Bay Front Park (formerly known as Brownie’s Beach) is located on MD Rt. 261 at the northern end of Calvert County, immediately south of the town of Chesapeake Beach. Limited parking is available. Open year round – fee charged during summer season. Tel: 301-855-8398 or 410-257-2230.
2) Breezy Point Beach is located at the end of Breezy Point Road just off MD Rt. 261. There is a fee to gain access to the beach from April to October. Tel: 410-535-0259 (only from April 15-October 15).
3) Matoaka Cottages/Beach Cabins is located just east of St. Leonard off of Calvert Beach Road. There is a daily beach access fee. Open year round. Tel: (410) 586-0269.
4) Flag Ponds Nature Park provides access (on a seasonal basis) to its beach. There is a daily beach access fee. Tel: 410-586-1477 (direct line) 410-535-5327 (reservations, groups).
5) Calvert Cliffs State Park is located five miles north of Solomons on MD Rt. 4. It has nature trails through a wooded park leading to the beach. The beach is a two mile hike from where you park your vehicle. Open year round. Tel: 301-743-7613.
Southern Maryland's Ancient Miocene Sea
WARNING! Digging in the cliffs is dangerous and prohibited on all State and Federal lands. On private land, permission must be obtained from the owner before digging. if you see a skull, bone, or unusual fossil in the cliffs, please report it to the Calvert Marine Museum. The museum appreciates getting this information and, if justified by the importance of the find, will obtain the necessary permission and have trained personnel collect the specimen, giving full credit to the finder.
The Ecphora is the official newsletter/journal of the Calvert Marine Museum Fossil Club, and is published quarterly.
Click Here to see the most recent and back issues of The Ecphora.
Click Here for the Fossil Club.