Want to Learn More?
Want to learn more about fossils?
We offer many opportunities to learn more about the fascinating science of paleontology. You can sign up for a Fossil Field Experience through our education department, attend stimulating lectures by renowned scientists as part of our PEM lecture series, join our Fossil Club, or for the younger set, attend our Jr. Paleontologist camp.
If you have an unusual fossil from Calvert Cliffs, our Curator of Paleontology would be happy to help you identify your find. Please call ahead for an appointment 410-326-2042 ext. 28.
Where to Find Fossils
1) Bay Front Park (formerly known as Brownie’s Beach) is located on MD Rt. 261 at the northern end of Calvert County, immediately south of the town of Chesapeake Beach. Limited parking is available. Open year round – fee charged during summer season. Tel: 301-855-8398 or 410-257-2230.
2) Breezy Point Beach is located at the end of Breezy Point Road just off MD Rt. 261. There is a fee to gain access to the beach from April to October. Tel: 410-535-0259 (only from April 15-October 15).
3) Matoaka Cottages/Beach Cabins is located just east of St. Leonard off of Calvert Beach Road. There is a daily beach access fee. Open year round. Tel: (410) 586-0269.
4) Flag Ponds Nature Park provides access (on a seasonal basis) to its beach. There is a daily beach access fee. Tel: 410-586-1477 (direct line) 410-535-5327 (reservations, groups).
5) Calvert Cliffs State Park is located five miles north of Solomons on MD Rt. 4. It has nature trails through a wooded park leading to the beach. The beach is a two mile hike from where you park your vehicle. Open year round. Tel: 301-743-7613.
Sea Cows and Mermaids
Learn about of sea cows and their relationship to mermaids in history.
Click here to download a web version of Sirenians & Sirens: Sea Cows and Mermaids (4.26 MB pdf). Full color printed copies are available in the Museum Store.